How Much Does a Liquor License Cost in California?


What Type of Liquor License Should You Apply For 

California has a wide range of licenses. If you apply for the wrong license type, you’ll only waste your time and money. To estimate the cost of your license, you must first determine the type of liquor license you want to obtain. And if you don’t understand the terms of your license, you will be limited to selling certain types of alcohol.

Since getting your hands on the right liquor license is not always easy, it is also advisable to approach a professional. Currently, four different types of liquor licenses in California are quite common: type 20, type 21, type 47, and type 48.

Type 20 License

The Type 20 license is reserved for establishments that offer beer and wine for sale over the counter. In other words, these items can be purchased on the premises but must legally be consumed off the premises. This option is most popular for gas stations and convenience stores.

Type 21 License

A type 21 license allows for the sale of beer, wine, and liquor in your store. This is generally the most popular option for liquor stores, which differ from convenience stores because they sell more alcohol and liquor-related products. The latter are typically more expensive. Like the Type 20 license, customers may purchase alcohol from you but may not consume it in your establishment.

Type 47 License

This license is most often acquired by restaurant owners who wish to serve beer and wine with their food.  It should be noted, however, that prior to having this license, your establishment must be able to prove that the restaurant or eating establishment derives at least 50% of its gross receipts from food sales.

Type 48 License

This license authorizes the sale of beer, wine, and distilled spirits for consumption on the premises where they are sold. The Type 48 license is used by establishments that sell beer, wine, and liquor exclusively to customers who are 21 years of age or older. If you want to open a bar, nightclub, winery, or wine shop, this is the type of license you should look for. In addition, you are not required to serve food. Also, minors are not allowed to enter and stay in your establishment.

Leave a Reply